Sheave maintenance standards for smoother crane operation
When designed and manufactured to OSHA standards, sheaves facilitate smooth and safe operation of overhead crane hoists. Otherwise, they can wear ropes prematurely and cause other dangerous hazards, such as binding wire rope. Konecranes technicians are trained to identify and correct problems with sheaves and other parts of hoisting equipment.
OSHA 1910.179 Overhead & Gantry Cranes Regulations
(the following excerpt taken directly from OSHA 1910.179)
- Sheave grooves shall be smooth and free from surface defects which could cause rope damage.
- Sheaves carrying ropes which can be momentarily unloaded shall be provided with close-fitting guards or other suitable devices to guide the rope back into the groove when the load is applied again.
- The sheaves in the bottom block shall be equipped with close-fitting guards that will prevent ropes from becoming fouled when the block is lying on the ground with ropes loose.
- Pockets and flanges of sheaves used with hoist chains shall be of such dimensions that the chain does not catch or bind during operation.
- All running sheaves shall be equipped with means for lubrication. Permanently lubricated, sealed and/or shielded bearings meet this requirement.
Wire rope inspections conducted by members of Konecranes’ global service team can help crane users extend the life of hoist ropes. They inspect sheaves and other components of hoist assemblies for compliance with crane standards, and to determine if they have flaws that could hinder safe operation. Call Konecranes today to schedule an assessment.
*The foregoing OSHA regulations are not intended to be a comprehensive overview of all applicable regulations pertaining to the designated topic. State laws may mandate different safety and maintenance standards. Accordingly, please consult applicable state laws as well as original equipment manufacturer specifications for further guidance. The statements and descriptions contained herein constitute the opinion/recommendation of the seller and are not intended to create any express warranties.