1-day programme for up to 6 delegates, the course would apply safe use and operation of the Overhead Travelling Cranes / Hoists including Safe Lifting & Slinging techniques to BS5744 & BS 7121 standards and incorporates the LOLER regulations 1998 (Lifting Operations & Lifting Equipment Regulations). Adherence to safe working methods is also aligned with the recommendations of the Health & Safety Commissions Approved Code of Practice (ACOPs) and the Lifting Equipment Engineers Association (LEEA).
Training will be tailored towards meeting company specific lifting applications and requirements.
Both theory and practical workshop elements are included within the programme and delegates will be assessed for the underpinning knowledge and practical applications in operating and lifting safely. Delegates who satisfy all of the assessment criteria will be awarded certification. We would need the use of the cranes sometime during the course and a classroom.
The theory course content covers:
- The need to train and statutory requirements
- Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 - Section 2, 7 & 8.
- LOLER (The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998)
- PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1999)
- MHSWR (The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999)
- BS7121 (Code of practice for the safe use of cranes)
- LEEA (Code of practice)
- Principle components and overhead crane terminology
- Safe use of lifting accessories
- Slinging and signaling procedures + rating / derating factors
- Films: Overhead crane operating safety
- Multichoice theoretical test
The practical course content covers:
- Introduction to the overhead crane
- Pre-operational checks of the crane
- Control familiarisation (including isolation of the crane)
- Controlling swing unladen + spotting the hook
- Selection and inspection and use of lifting accessories
- Lifting/travelling and positioning various equipment and loads
- Working to signaling procedures (where applicable)
- Turning a load with a single hook / 2 hooks (where applicable)
- Parking the crane and storing accessories
- Practical skill ability tests